Telford & Wrekin Local Offer

SEND - Local offer

You are here: Home | Home | What is a Designated Clinical Officer (DCO)?

What is a Designated Clinical Officer (DCO)?


Each Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) should provide a Designated Medical Officer (DMO) or Designated Clinical Officer (DCO) for SEND. The DCO plays a key role in implementing and embedding the SEND reforms and in supporting joined up working between health services, local authorities and other SEND partners.

Who is your DCO for SEND?

Jennifer Griffin is the DCO for special educational needs and disability (SEND) for Shropshire and Telford and Wrekin CCG. The role is to support health colleagues across the Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG), Shropshire Community Health Trust, Shrewsbury and Telford Hospitals and Midlands Partnership Foundation Trust to ensure children and young people 0-25 with SEND have the right health support to achieve the best outcomes they possibly can.

It's a varied role and includes:

  • Oversight from a health perspective of education, health and care panels to discuss which children go forward for assessments and then if required have a formal plan (EHCP)
  • Supporting health professionals to contribute to the Education, Health and Care Plan process
  • Working with others in the local area to improve the quality of Education, Health and Care Plans.
  • Supporting the SEND team at the local authority with questions and queries
  • Promoting links between the SEND team, education professionals, social care and health services
  • Supporting the commissioners and senior leadership team with regards to meeting and assuring the SEND health requirements
  • Working alongside commissioners and stakeholders including children and young people, parents and carers to identify and raise any commissioning gaps some of which may require joint commissioning to resolve
  • Ensuring we can evidence a good local offer of health services and clear health journeys for those age 0-25 with SEND


Health, education and social care professionals, PODs, PACC and IASS can contact Jennifer Griffin to discuss queries from families.

If you have a formal complaint regarding the CCG, please click here for information about their complaints process.